The mission of Social Justice and Advocacy (SJA) is to promote an equitable campus environment where all are assured that diversity, in its many forms, is valued. We will support efforts to increase equal access to campus resources and opportunities, while cultivating inclusiveness to the least advantaged members of the campus community. SJA will advocate to decrease obstacles that prevent students from succeeding at the University of Central Florida.
Social Justice and Advocacy will:
- Advocate for access and equity throughout the UCF campus community
- Promote civil conversations on issues impacting campus climate
- Advocate for the advancement of matters of social justice, equity, and inclusion
- Reduce barriers concerning prejudice and intergroup conflicts.
- Social Justice and Advocacy will encompass the Multicultural Student Center and LGBTQ+ services to cover all areas of under-represented communities and exclusivity.
What's Going On
On August 23rd, the Multicultural Student Center hosted their biggest event of the year, Taste of UCF. The event was held in the CFE Arena and included food from more than 20 different countries. Cultural music filled the venue as students witnessed performances from different cultural dance groups and poets. Registered Student Organizations were set up outside the doors for students to learn more information about the different clubs and organizations UCF has to offer. Even Knightro was in attendance. More than 1,500 students were served and got an eclectic taste of the world, without leaving the comfort of their own campus.
LGBTQ+ Services Speakers Bureau connects groups who want to learn with students who want share their experiences, challenges, and concerns as LGBTQ+ students. The Speakers Bureau allows students to make an impact on the UCF community through peer education. Students in the Speakers Bureau will be contacted and offered the opportunity to participate when LGBTQ+ Services holds panels, speaking events, or receives requests for student panels from UCF offices, classes, and organizations.
For more information, to request a panel, or to attend a training session, contact email@example.com or call 407-823-1027